Tips to Increase AC Efficiency
Get the most out of your cooling system by improving AC efficiency. There are a few easy ways homeowners can make sure that their air conditioner is running efficiently and reliably.
- Clear Around the Condenser – Keeping the space around the outdoor unit is an easy way to increase AC efficiency. To work properly, there needs to be room (between 18-24 inches) around the unit for proper airflow. Things like fallen leaves, dead branches or even planted flowers can crowd the unit. Make sure to periodically check around the unit and clear away any debris.
- Vacuum and Clear Vents – Inside, make sure vents and registers are free of dust build-up and are not blocked by rugs, furniture or curtains. Impeding the free flow of air can drastically reduce efficiency.
- Properly Place Thermostats – Make sure that the thermostat is installed somewhere where it can accurately assess the indoor temperature. Having anything that produces heat near the thermostat can cause the system to run longer than it needs, decreasing efficiency.
- Close Blinds/Drapes – During the hottest parts of the day, it can help to close blinds and drapes to keep the sun out and avoid unnecessarily warming up the house.
- Schedule Annual AC Inspection – Having a professional inspect the cooling system once a year can help increase AC efficiency and improve reliability. During this important appointment, the tech will go over the whole system, make small adjustments, clean key components and check refrigerant levels.
We are now scheduling annual AC inspections. If you’d like to book your service, simply contact us and one of our friendly associates will schedule a convenient time for your inspection.
We have been serving the heating and air conditioning needs of Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, Grimsby and Brantford areas since 1946.