When it comes to HVAC, size matters
Summer is here and you’ll want to make sure your HVAC system is accurately sized.
Temperatures are starting to become uncomfortable at times which means people are starting to run their air conditioners. Having a comfortable home means you will be able to escape the heat at any moment, allowing you to fully enjoy the beautiful weather.
Is your air conditioner capable of keeping you comfortable?
Your air conditioner could be too old, too inefficient, too noisy or worst of all; it could be the wrong size. When it comes to HVAC, size matters.
We know what you’re thinking, but in the case of heating and air conditioning, we often find that air conditioners are the wrong size. Homeowners tend to think the bigger the better for their air conditioning systems, but that is not always true.
So, what happens if you get a new air conditioner that is too big?
- The unit will use an excessive amount of energy and cause your bills to spike.
- The unit will be noisier than desired.
- The temperature can fluctuate greatly with short inefficient cycles. This term is called short cycling and may lead to future damage on the compressor
Keep in mind; the size of your A/C is not solely dependent on the size of your home. Your home comfort consultant should be experienced with installation in your local area and familiar with the climate. There are many other factors that your HVAC technician should take into account, including:
- The insulation and window quality of your home, so that they can determine the cooling levels that will need to be achieved
- The number of occupants in your home
- Will you be renovating in the future?
- Will your renovations include changing the insulation in the home?
- Which way does your home face
- What are the surrounding items around your home: trees, buildings etc.
The best way to determine if you are getting the right size A/C is have a comfort consultant do a site visit at your home first. This will allow your home to be accessed properly, discuss any future renovations or upgrades to your home, and have a clear understanding of what you expect the comfort level of your home to be.
You can call HAMCO with the confidence that we will install a system that best fits your home comfort needs Schedule a free sales estimate with HAMCO and we’ll make sure that everything fits just right.